Parental Support?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Parental Support?

Hello.

For the past few months I have be preparing for Navy Dive School. Up until about 3 weeks ago I have wanted to join the US Marine Corp. I just want to put Dive School on the back burner for awhile. I have a few questions before I go speak with a Marine recruiter, and some ideas to ease my parents into the thought of me joining the Marine Corp.

What is the minimum time I can sign for? 2 years?
    If that is the case I while sign, and once my time is up sign up for the Navy, and go for Dive School.

Also I'm sure some of you guys had parents that didn't want you to join the Marine Corp. What did you do to make them accept it?

I don't know how serious my mom is, but she says she won't go to my Bootcamp graduation if it's with the Marine Corp, and that I would send her to a mental institute from her worrying about me. She has always supported me a 100% with everything I've done and been there for me, so this kind of hurts. My dad was Airforce so he thinks that is the only branch that will treat you right.

The reasons I want to join the Marine Corp is for... Pride, being able to say I'm a United States Marine, strength, honor, and various other reasons.

What are some ideas to force them to accept the Marine Corp as a branch I'm heavily considering joining?

Thanks,
    aust10n

Foreget about forcing them to accept your decision(s). They are entitled to their opinions and beliefs. Arguing and trying to force them won't work and could cause a rift that will be hard to heal. Do what you feel is right and follow through. Some of the newer Marines here or a recruiter can tell you what the minimum time you can enlist for. If your heart is set on Navy Dive School, go do it! If you read the latest recruiting campaign signs my Marine Corps wants a committment not an application. Delaying what you have your heart set on will probably cause you to second guess your decision and you will not be fully committed to being a Marine.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your reply. I used the wrong word "force". I should have used "accept". That is all I want is for them to accept it and to come to the bootcamp graduation.
    The Marine Corp will only make me stronger. I believe if I can go through Marine Corp bootcamp and serve as a Marine I can make it through Dive School. I also have two friends that are Marines.
    One graduated two years ago from Parris Island, named Matt from Chester, VA. I have lost touch with him but can't find him (do not know his last name).
    Mark Grizzle graduates today from Parris Island.

aust10n,

I would say do what you want and call their bluff. (Not in a mean way) I think you will find they will come.

You can only live your life for yourself...if you live it for others you will be eternally miserable...

Credits
    Savings
    aust1On, my mom was dead set on me joining the corps, untill I brought home every last recruiter from the other branches so she could se that I made the decision "informed", although my mind was made up before that. lol. I did that just to make her happy. Once I did it she came around.

you should always respect your parents and their decisions but there are times when you are simply going to have to decide what kind of man you want to be.

But i will tell you one thing. The Marine Corps ISNT perfect it has a bunch of ass holes. But what you realize is it will reward you for how much effort you put into it. It's not like the air force or the army where they succomb to the political bull **** we are faced with. If you **** up?? Sure they will make you play their games but they wont abandon you or send you to the brig for 12 yrs like other branches...

Im not goign to **** ya.. The Marine Corps doesnt have teh best weapons or latest and greatest.. We take pride in adapting with what we have (mostly hand me downs). You will see your unit will take care of you better than anyone in the civilian life and especially in tany other branch...

Thread Information